Background and challenges
Artificial Intelligence (AI) is revolutionizing the way the economy and society function, by automating tasks & business processes, and managing workflows & critical data more effectively. The fastpaced development of AI technologies in diverse economic and social realities is exponentially augmenting the demand for ICT professionals with the right combination of AI and transversal skills.
Employers struggle to find suitable candidates from the existing workforce. Further to demand, the gap is amplified by the shortage and inadequacy of relevant skills expected via VET provision, given also that AI is currently a subject of ICT specialization mostly offered at the highest level of tertiary education. The upgrading of initial and continuous VET provision in the field is therefore essential so that existing and future ICT professionals can acquire and develop the AI skills and competences required to respond to modern workplace requirements and succeed in a competitive labor market.
ARIS forms a Strategic Partnership to strengthen the key digital competences in VET provision for ICT professionals by offering an up-to-date curriculum and Open Educational Resources (OERs) in AI to address the existing occupational skills needs and mismatches. The ARIS objectives are to:
- Design a comprehensive and up-to-date training course in AI technologies and practical applications, to empower ICT professionals with initiative, entrepreneurship & updated digital skills required in the workplace.
- Introduce modern training delivery mehods and innovative open-access pedagogical resources, enabling learners to acquire and self-assess ΑΙ related skills, including VET providers resources & methods to integrate in their training offerings.
- Facilitate the integration of AI skills requirements into the EU certification and standardisation schemes.
The partnership of ARIS comprises 5 organizations from 5 countries, from the world of VET, the ICT sector, technological research, as well as learning innovation experts.
- BUSINESS TRAINING SA (Belgium) – project coordinator. BUSINESS TRAINING SA brings expertise in the design and delivery of VET courses, covering the entire spectrum of Information and Communication Systems.
- UNIVERSITAT POLITECNICA DE CATALUNYA (Spain) and CONSIGLIO NAZIONALE DELLE RICERCHE (Italy) are at the forefront of AI-related research & technological development, being also pioneers in the design/delivery of ICT courses on cognitive science & automation technologies.
- LIKS (Lithuania) represents occupational needs and workplace realities at the national and EU level, committed to the continuous improvement of ICT training provision and enhancing digital literacy.
- EXELIA E.E. (Greece) an expert in R&D and the delivery of innovative ICT-based methodologies.
- ICT professionals in need of C-VET
- Students in need of I-VET
- VET providers and employers
- Sectoral stakeholders
- Other European learners
Activities and methodology
- Analysis of current and future skills and knowledge needs leading to the development of learning outcomes.
- Development of the structure of a curriculum on AI technologies & practical applications.
- Creation of corresponding pedagogical materials to be offered as Open Education Resources.
- Development, testing, and delivery of Vocational Open Online Course infrastructures on AI applications, promoting the uptake of innovative and flexible practices in VET.
- Involvement of key policy-makers & stakeholders for the recognition of ARIS learning outcomes as well for supporting the integration of AI skills into occupational standards.
- Sharing of outputs with multiplier events, inviting target groups to uptake ARIS results and to act as further multipliers.
The ARIS project is expected to have the following results:
- Learning outcomes for training provision in the different AI technologies & practical applications for ICT professionals.
- Learning units (curriculum structure), trainers’ toolkit, and VET integration guidelines.
- Open Educational Resources for AI technologies and applications.
- ARIS Vocational Open Online Course infrastructures & content on AI technology applications for ICT professionals.
- An AI Skills Certificate Supplement for the integration of AI skills into certification schemes.
- A position paper to support decision-making and promote the incorporation of AI skills requirements into the European e-Competence Framework.
- 5 national information days (one in each partnership country) to promote project results and set an open discussion on increasing the quality and effectiveness of VET provision.
START DATE: 01-09-2019
END DATE: 28-02-2022
Project Reference: 2019-1-BE01-KA202-050425